PORTFOLIO


UNION STATION


Built in 1898, Union Station is the five-building, classically designed epicenter of activity in the capital city.  In 1986, Marsella Development purchased the Union Station complex, then a downtrodden relic of its former past and upon Amtrak moving to a new Skidmore, Owings & Merrill designed station; MDC began the painstaking process of restoring the property and all of its buildings to its former glory.  With the removal of the railroad embankment, for decades the major dividing line splitting the city in two, two acres of adjacent land was created to the immediate north of the building along with the city’s new main thoroughfare, Memorial Boulevard.  On the new site, a underground 372 car parking garage was developed crowned by the Courtyard Marriott hotel, considered by Marriott to be one of the finest urban examples of their limited service brand.  At the lowest level of the property, is the Plaza, the central point of the city, created to offer pedestrians a calm escape from the city.  Home to 5 restaurants at the Plaza level, including the nation’s first Capitol Grille.  The Plaza links pedestrians from Waterplace Park to Kennedy Plaza without ever having to cross a street.


There remains one last piece of development at Union Station. Controlled by the Marsella family, a 1.2 acre parcel sits at the northeast corner of the site and is the only privately owned site in all of Capital Center.